Tollinton Market is located on the Mall Road to the east of the Lahore Museum. It was built to house the first important exhibition of Punjab's arts and crafts. This building, which once presented a picture post card view, is of great significance in tracing the urban history of Lahore. It was in this exhibition hall, now famous as Tollinton Market, that the first major exhibition (1864) of the produce and products of the province was held. It later housed the Punjab's museum collection consisting of objet d'art, arts and crafts and rare finds. After the transfer of the museum collection, the building was handed over to Lahore Municipal Committee. In the 1920s the building was remodelled as a market by the famous municipality engineer, Rai Bahadur Sir Ganga Ram, and became known as Tollinton Market. For decades, it served as a market, accommodating small stalls stocking a variety of daily provisions. Its recent rehabilitation and restoration have been welcomed by conservationists.